Tuesday, November 22, 2005

As requested, the Hot Head Hat pattern...

Ok, lets just say, I am not a knit wear designer. Yet, some have requested my "Hot Head Hat" pattern (sure that name works)...so, here it is...
I made if for my nephew who may only be 13 years old...but he is 6 foot...so the hat is basically a one size fit all.

Yarn: I used Pattons Classic Merino in red and black
Needles: US #6 or what ever you need to get gauge. I used a small circular...like 16" then switched to magic loop on addis...but you can do double pointed.
Gauge: 22sts in 4"

Cast on 110 sts with the red. Join in the round being careful not to twist and place marker.

Knit in a *1x1 twisted rib for 3/4" (I did this because it is a tighter rib and I wouldn't have to start with smaller needles and then move to the #6, but you could always do that with a regular rib bottom)
*twisted rib is knit 1 tbl (through back of loop), purl 1 tbl

Continue in stocking stitch (knit all rounds) until the hat measures 3 1/4" from the cast on.
Begin your flame pattern.
You can use this sad chart I did:


The chart is a ten stitch repeat all the way around for 18 rows.

or here is the row by row:
row 1: *k1 blk, k9 red* repeat all the way around
row 2: *k1 blk, k8 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 3: *k9 red, k2 blk* rep all the way around
row 4: *k9 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 5: *k9 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 6: *k5 red, k2 blk, k2 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 7: *k4 red, k3 blk, k2 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 8: *k4 red, k3 blk, k2 red, k1 blk* rep all the way around
row 9: *k4 red, k3 blk, k1 red, k2 blk* rep all the way around
row 10: *k1 blk, k3 red, k3 blk, k1 red, k2 blk* rep all the way around
row 11: *k2 blk, k3 red, k2 blk, k1 red, k2 blk* rep all the way around
row 12: *k2 blk, k3 red, k1 blk, k1 red, k3 blk* rep all the way around
row 13: *k3 blk, k2 red, k1 blk, k1 red. k3 blk* rep all the way around
row 14: *k4 blk, k1 red, k2 blk, k1 red, k2 blk* rep all the way around
row 15: *k4 blk, k2 red, k4 blk* rep all the way around
row 16: *k5 blk, k1 red, k4 blk* rep all the way around
row 17: *k6 blk, k1 red, k3 blk* rep all the way around
row 18: *k6 blk, k1 red, k3 blk* rep all the way around

Continue in black for 1" above the flame pattern in stocking stitch.
next row: decrease 2 sts evenly around - 108sts.

decreases:
row 1: *k4, k2tog* all the way around
row 2: and every other row knit around
row 3: *k3, k2tog* all the way around
row 5: *k2, k2tog* all the way around
row 7: *k1, k2tog* all the way around
row 9: *k2tog* all the way around
row 11: *k2tog* all the way around

Break off yarn. Thread sewing needle with the tail and thread through remaining sts. Pull tight and secure. Weave in ends.

Enjoy! Let me know if you actually knit one!

3 comments:

MissyJoon said...

thanks so much for writing the pattern out! I am going to give it a whirl . . . I am just not sure when!

Jacqui said...

Thank you! I might just add this to my Christmas knitting list if I have time to get to it before then. If not, then soon. If DS won't wear it, I will! lol

Unknown said...

Thanks so much! This just might be added to my long christmas list!!